Saturday, June 7, 2014

She's Ready to Go / Using old products

Happy Saturday, friends!  Missy here with you today.  Every so often, I stand in front of my scrappy shelves and look through all my stash that has been sitting there for years.  If you're like me, you keep on buying new products...but the older goodies are still on your shelves.  Well, I challenged myself to find some older products just collecting dust and USE THEM.

A few years ago, I bought a pack of Heidi Swapp Color Magic papers.  That's this background sheet.  It's like her newer ephemera now...where it's all white and you spray mist over it and there's a built-in design that resists the color.  That's how this background paper is....isn't it the coolest?  I've been wanting to scrap some of my older July 4th pics, so I made this a red, white & blue (& silver!) color scheme.  I used My Scraps Sketch #83 for this.

I used red & blue spray and some acrylic paint.  Even with the paint, the design resisted the color.  So for parts where I wanted a solid smudge of color, I used gesso first.  It helped to keep the color without the resist part.  I used stamps, metallic paints, washi tapes and even some tissue paper on this.
Oh, and some really old Thickers and Doodlebug Loopy stickers for my title.  It felt GREAT to use up old products and make them look new again!


I've had these old chipboard stars in my stash for a while.  They're actually white with clear glitter, but I embossed them with silver embossing powder.  Easy and fun!  


I also did some heat embossing with stamps.  That red heart brad is really old, too.  I don't use red very often, so it was perfect for this page.


Another shot of the gesso & paint, and the pretty silver embossing.  I just love getting messy...haha!


I did add some newer silver thread...it's just so pretty and shiny, and perfect for a July 4th layout.


I hope this inspires you to visit all of your OLD products and use them up!  Make them work...put together your own little kit of goodies that coordinate together.  You'd be surprised how you can make really old products look new again!

You can find some of the newer Heidi Swapp products in the My Scraps store!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great weekend!

Missy :)

4 comments :

  1. Wow! Gorgeous layout! Love the patriotic color scheme with the silver added!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous mixed media! I adore the silver embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought that you used any old products when you made this page! It is fabulous! Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete