Friday, June 13, 2014

Me at 38 / Mixed Media Layout

Happy Friday, everyone!  Missy here today.  My blog posts will now be on Fridays instead of Saturdays :)

Today, I'm sharing a recent layout I created for our Got Talent contest going on over on the boards.  The challenge was two parts:  1--Create a mixed media background, and 2--use a photo of yourself and journal about current likes and/or dislikes.

Although this layout looks complicated, it was pretty easy to put together.  I discovered a wonderful scrapper on YouTube (Sanna Lippert) who does really pretty mixed media projects.  I did a technique I saw her do...use your distress inks on your clear acrylic blocks to create a watercolor stamp look.  You just take a few colors of your distress ink pads and blot them onto your clear block.  Then you spray it lightly with water, and then just use the block as a stamp.  You get this awesome effect!  I used an orange color and two different blues.  

Once I did that, I used some modeling paste over a stencil, added lots of stamps and washi tape, and I even added some drywall tape.  I used bits and pieces from the Echo Park Capture Life (black and white) collection.  That frame is from Crate Paper.  Some of my stickers are from various Recollections lines from Michaels.

I just love starting with white cardstock and creating a unique and fun design.  You could do this with paints or even gelatos.  It was really fun!


Here you can really see the ink and paste up close.  Look at all the texture!  I just love it!  That white checkered "stuff" on the right is drywall tape from Home Depot.  You MUST get some...it's awesome!  You can also stick it chipboard and paint it....I even used some gelatos on some the other day.


Thread is another fun and easy (and cheap) way to add color and texture.  I like to buy the thread from Michaels...it's really floss, but I like to pull it apart and create a tangle or a circle.


These enamel dots are from My Mind's Eye.  I just love the orange and blues together...what a beautiful contrast.  And the black really pops up against it.


A close up look at some of the stamping...and a sequin.


Washi tape and thread...one of my favorite combos :)


I hope you'll come join us in our Got Talent challenges this summer...we're going until August. We have a big challenge every Monday followed by a mini challenge on Thursdays.  And there are MORE challenges in between!  Great prizes to be won and lots of fun to be had, so come play with us!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you're now inspired to try a mixed media project :)

Missy :)

7 comments :

  1. I love everything about this layout, lots of journaling, bright colors, stenciling, stamping, layers, it's all here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job! This looks like it was a lot of work, but the outcome was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the effect of the different techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Your mixed media techniques really make this layout exceptional. The journaling is so real and incredible. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great layering and textures that you have on this page! Very stunning! And I love these colors together too!

    ReplyDelete